22 Oct 2015
Extraordinary Foods’ Super Seed Sprinkles
Let me introduce you to one of the most appropriately named health food companies I follow – Extraordinary Foods. Olga and Alex, originally from Russia, founded this company in 2012 upon arriving in Australia. Their aim is to make nutritious and delicious food that is accessible to everyone – including those of us (like myself) who are time poor yet don’t fancy making a pit stop at that all too convenient and looming vending machine. Their signature products are kale chips, and their exciting new “pimp my salad” seed topping and super seed crunch range. Their products are dehydrated at 46°C for 16-24 hours (never baked), so all nutrients, vitamins and enzymes are preserved. Best of all, these guys have taken all the hard work out of your hands, activating (pre-soaking) the seeds prior to dehydration to help digestion and to activate enzymes.
What I love most about these guys is that they live and breathe their business. When not busy in the kitchen dehydrating something, you can find them floating around the local markets educating the community on healthy eating (this is how I discovered them). Their products are sold in most health food stores and are bursting with flavour, despite containing no artificial flavours, sweeteners or preservatives (just whole food ingredients … a major tick in my book!)
Their Super Seed Sprinkles is one of my favourite low FODMAP products. I always make sure I have a jar of this on hand (especially when I’m travelling!) as it takes the guess work out of dressing up my salad, adds a delicious flavour and crunch, and boosts the protein, healthy fat, and nutrient absorption of the fresh ingredients it is paired with. While similar products on the market contain numerous FODMAP nightmares – such as garlic and onion powders – this superfood mix comprises of the most nutritious seeds and spices, tastes slightly cheesy with a hint of rosemary, and is so versatile you’ll use it daily. Add it to salads, soups, or eat it straight from the jar as a snack.
In this sweet yet zingy Spinach & Orange Super Seed Sprinkles Salad recipe, the saltiness of the Super Seed Mix compliments the sweetness from the oranges and dried currants perfectly. The tang of the lemon juice and orange creates a tantalizing dressing that draws all these diverse flavours together into delicious salad matrimony! Yum!!
Spinach & Orange Super Seed Sprinkles Salad
Makes: 1-2 salads
Time taken: 10 minutes
- 2 handfuls organic spinach, torn into bite-sized pieces (or use kale or for something softer baby spinach)
- 2 tbsp balsamic or apple cider (if you can tolerate it) vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large navel orange, peel cut away & sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tbsp sundried cranberries or raisins
- 1-2 tbsp Extraordinary Foods Super Seed Sprinkles
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt and pepper (optional)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Note: this also goes well served with some lightly toasted coconut flakes – max 2 tbsp
- Place the spinach in a small mixing bowl & drizzle over the vinegar, lemon juice & oil
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Place the dressed spinach on 1-2 serving plates & arrange the orange slices over the spinach (get fancy!)
- Sprinkle with cranberries & superseed mix topping
- Serve immediately or (if using English spinach or kale), wait 10 minutes so that they juices can marinate & soften the harsher green
Happy Nourishing 🙂